Sunday, August 2, 2015

B+ Grading My Following My Training Plan Through the First Nine Weeks


Here is a progress report on my implementing my training plan since my announcement that I will ride the Fast America South next spring.

Here are the miles I have ridden, in my attempts to meet my goals of 80-100 miles during the week, plus whatever on the weekend.

Week     During the Week     Weekend  Total
1                        101                     25           126
2                        115                     30           145
3                          94                   152           246
4                        105                   216           321
5                          19                     50             69
6                          91                     32           123
7                          65                     52           117
8                        127                     18           145
9                          95                   102           197
Total                  812                   677        1,489

I worked my plan 7 of the 9 weeks. In addition to the 90 miles I rode April 26 in the Minnesota Ironman and the Fulton Gran Fondo century, I have ridden the Tour de Pepin century, the back-to-back Paul Bunyan centuries and the Tour de Tonka, for a total of 5 centuries so far this year.  

I have improved my 100 mile ride performance from a 15.0 mph average I did on the Tour de Pepin to 16.5 on the Tour de Tonka, on somewhat equivalent terrain and temperatures. Riding the Tour de Tonka 100 miles in the six hours met the requirement to ride the cross country tour next spring (other than being documented), so this makes me all the more confident that I will be physically ready for the tour.

I have only lost maybe 3 of the 8 pounds I had intended to lose by August 1, and I have totally failed to implement my plan to be able to run 5k by this time. Those goals will need to be pushed back, perhaps with the running occurring during the winter in the school field house as part of my attempt to hold onto my conditioning during the winter. I also presume that as I continue this training I will lose some more weight.

I need to improve my strength to weight ratio, as I really slow down on hills compared with those I ride with. On the Tour de Tonka, early on I was doing much better than on other rides, going up some grades at 16+ mph, but in the last 30 miles I just had to spin my way up the hills in low gears. I had planned to do some weight training for my quads and hamstrings in the school weight room during the summer, but that was not to be. I will simulate hills on my Keiser training bike to improve here.

So, progress was made, but I was not totally able to work my plan. As the initial enthusiasm waned, at times it has been hard to stay motivated. The 147 mile One Day Ride Across Michigan next Saturday and the 5 day Dick Allen Lansing to Mackinaw City (DALMAC) ride before Labor Day will help to keep me focused for the next month.

But, my friends, you will be critical to keeping me on track. Simply your reading this (or knowing you might) is a way to hold me accountable and means much to me. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment