Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Goal is Set!



I have committed to ride across America in 27 days from Saturday, April 16 to Friday, May 13, 2016. This is the Fast America South covering 2904 miles from Costa Mesa, California (between LA and San Diego) to Savannah, Georgia. It is a fully supported tour sleeping in motels organized by America By Bicycle http://americabybicycle.com/ More details of the ride may be found at http://americabybicycle.com/fas-short I had intended to ride from San Diego to Boston in 33 days, but that tour is only offered in 2015 and 2017, and not available in 2016.

From reading the blogs of previous tours, it is obvious that this will be hard to do and even mighty uncomfortable at times. We will average 115+ miles per day, covering 841 miles from Costa Mesa, CA to Albuquerque, New Mexico on days 0-7, 921 miles from Albuquerque to Fort Smith, Arkansas on days 8-16, and finishing with 1142 miles from Fort Smith to Savannah, Georgia on days 17-27. In addition to the miles, past tours have faced high heat in the far west, days of climbing over 8000 feet, driving rain, cold in the mountains and even 25-30 mph headwinds. It will be a challenge. But, if it were easy, it would not be as interesting if everyone could do it.
 

The initial communication from America By Bicycle read: "Our Fast America Ride series are our most intense cycling experience and are not for the low mileage or novice cyclist. Making a serious training commitment will help you be prepared for the ride. Experienced cyclists should begin their program 6-8 months prior to the start of the event. Ultimately beginning around 100-150 miles per week and setting reasonable cycling goals (century mark, back to back distance days, etc.). You should be increasing your monthly totals by 10% and remember the training "watch words" are consistency and endurance, get out and ride 4-6 days a week and make sure at least 2 days a week you are riding longer distance mileage. The last two months before the ride your weekly total mileage should be up to 300+ per week and you should be able to complete back to back centuries comfortably averaging at least 16.5+ miles per hour. Your training schedule should total 3,000-4,000 miles before you arrive at the ride start. All participants must be able to complete a century in 6 hours riding time.”

Now that sounds like a challenge!


In future blog postings, I will outline my previous riding experience, my current conditioning status and my training plan to be ready to ride. I will then weekly post what I have done that week in training.


I will not be able to ride this tour by myself. That is, I will need the support and encouragement of my friends to do this. I may lay out a training plan, but I will need you to help me by holding me accountable to do what I say I will do.


When I complete this tour, I want you to say, “I helped him do that. He could not have done it without me.” It will be a team effort, and I welcome you to be part of my team.

No comments:

Post a Comment