Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Day 18: Wednesday, May 4 - Ft. Smith, AR to Conway, AR 124 miles for the day, 3560' up, 3679' down


For photos of the 2nd leg of the trip, go to http://www.bamacyclist.com/BAMA/Section_2.html


The wind is my friend (well, at least it was today). We had mostly tailwinds throughout the day, making the 122 mile route pretty easy. I rode 124 so perhaps an over achiever? (Nah, just missed a turn again today and got a couple of bonus miles).

We followed Hwy. 22 east out of Fort Smith, Arkansas, then 7N and finally Hwy 64 into Conway. The shoulder was generally good, so made for good traveling, especially with the tail wind. I started out with my riding tights, windbreaker and balaclava and each came off at different times throughout the day as temperatures rose in the wonderful sunlight with clear blue skies.

The ride was rather unremarkable, as we got to the first SAG at mile 38. lunch SAG at 73 and the 3rd SAG at 103 without incident and without much strain. We had no dog encounters and I had no mechanical difficulties.The hills were all gradual. The miles just flowed by.







Why does the armadillo cross the road? Darn if I know why they even try, as based on the number of carcasses we see on the roads, the survival rate of armadillos crossing the road must be minuscule. Here, they are also known as "possum on the half shell". They have been rated "delicious" by all of the turkey vultures that I have interrupted dining.

We have a series of days ahead with not much over 100 miles per day, so I am hoping to be able to complete the full routes most of the days, with the likely exception of the 138 mile day with a fair amount of climbing. Although this is not a competition, and I pretty much ride alone and at my pace, I still don't want to feel like a slacker among the group. In part, everyone is supportive because they see I am out there doing what I can. If it appears that I am just sloughing off, their attitudes could very well change.

It looks like we will have another easy day tomorrow with it being a short day (only 102 miles), little climbing, favorable winds, and temperatures starting about 54 and rising to 70 - Day 19: Thursday, May 5 - Conway, AR to Brinkley, AR 102 miles for the day, 1,900' of climbing.

Next page

For the ride leader's take on today with photos, go here

No comments:

Post a Comment