Thursday, May 12, 2016

Day 26: Thursday, May 12 - Perry, GA to Vidalia, GA I rode the route's 101 miles for the day, 2772' up, 2899' down

Yup, another hill. (Photo credit; Mike Munk, America by Bicycle)

Today's ride went without a hitch. There were a few more hills than expected, but nothing that was too bothersome. Maybe I am just getting jaded. The wind was not a factor, but it did get over 90 degrees in the afternoon, so it was hot. Repeated soaking of the skull cap and my jersey helped keep it tolerable.

I started out about 7:30 and finished before 3:00, so less than seven and a half hour total elapsed time. No record setting pace, but not too shabby. When I did the 102 miles in 6 hours and 5 minutes of riding time on the Tour de Tonka last summer for an average speed of 16.5 mph, it took a total of just seven hours, just for comparison. Of course, that was a one day ride in almost ideal conditions (except for the heat and hills in the afternoon), and not a day after multiple long rides day after day like today.







Our SAG stops at mile 36 and 62 were reasonably spaced today, unlike some days in which they were about 50 miles apart. Geez, I remember the first time I rode 50 miles in 2013 for the Make a Wish Foundation with my friends from RydeOn Saline, there were rest stops every 10 miles. Here, we are expected to have a bar or two in our jersey pockets and/or stop at the infrequent stores to make it to the next SAG. It has really not been a problem, just interesting to see the contrast with shorter, larger events.



Nope, the hills weren't done with us yet!




What Vidalia, Georgia is known for.
 
Tomorrow is our last day; Day 27: Friday, May 13 - Vidalia, GA to Savannah, GA 104 miles for the day, 900' of climbing, with the last 50 mile profile looking like there may be speed bumps in the road. 


We will leave at 6;30 and need to be at the Post Office 102 miles down the road to go as a group to the beach for the traditional wheel dipping and pouring of the water from the Pacific into the Atlantic. Then, it will be a two mile ride to the motel, packing up the bikes for shipping home, cleaning up, followed by a banquet at 7;00. Then, a cab ride to my offsite motel from which I will depart Saturday morning for the airport for the flight home.

With such a busy time, I will not be writing a blog tomorrow night, but will do so upon my return home.

Thanks all for following me and reading my posts. It means a lot to me.

Next page

For our ride leader's take on today's ride with photos, go here.

1 comment:

  1. It's been a blast following! Excited to hear your thoughts on the wheel dipping.

    ReplyDelete