Sunday, May 8, 2016

Day 21: Saturday, May 7 - Senatobia, MS to Aberdeen, MS completed 121 of the route's 138 miles 4791' up, 4860' down

Biker tan, anyone?

Wow, this was a good day. I knew this was going to be one of the toughest days of the trip, so determined that I would not totally exhaust myself for the days that follow by only riding a 100 of the route's 138 miles. There was a lot of up and down on the route and hills are NOT one of my strengths.

So, I rode to the first SAG at mile 39.6 not feeling terribly strong. Nonetheless, I was in with the group at the SAG, due to my leaving a bit earlier than most. So, I might just as well keep going, thinking I would need a bump before the SAG at mile 82.6. Along the way, Mike came by so I asked if I needed to be bumped, and he said, "No, you are doing good, and there are others behind you." So, I continued to ride to the SAG. From there, guys were still behind me, so I rode to mile 99.5 until I got bumped to the third SAG at mile 117. I felt I could still ride a bit more and wanted to complete a century for the day, so started riding again, expecting to be picked up before I reached Aberdeen. Well, the next time I saw the van was while sitting in Subway in Aberdeen, so I rode the entire rest of the way of the route, for a total of 121 miles.













When facing a big challenge, it is helpful to break the challenge up into smaller pieces. Today, I would think, "Only 12 miles to the store where I can buy a chocolate milk." or "Only 10 miles to the next turn on the cue sheet." or "Only 20 miles left to go." As I achieved those small goals, the feeling of accomplishment made continuing less intimidating.

Great weather again with the wind not a factor early and a slight help in the afternoon. Lots of up and down but nothing too long or too steep.

While I never felt terribly strong all day, it never got feeling any worse either, so was glad I was able to get the 121 miles in for the day.

Taking on a challenge like this cross country ride takes mental toughness as well as physical conditioning. Having some encouragement like Mike's "go for it" helps, as few of us have that intestinal fortitude all by ourselves. My roommate, however, is REALY mentally tough. Today he was struggling, as the accumulating miles were catching up with him, as even he willingly admits, he did not train well in the last six months for this trip, relying on his massive base of conditioning. When Mike asked him how he was doing at about mile 45, Phil replied, "Not well, but I am not accepting a bump!" He gutted it out and rode the remainder of the route. Tough!
Next page

For the ride leader's take on today with photos, go here

No comments:

Post a Comment