Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Day 10: Tuesday, April 26 - Las Vegas, NM to Tucumcari, NM 109 miles for the day, 3357' up, 5676' down





We started out at 7:00 in quite chilly weather. The TV said 41 degrees, so I put on my balaclava and my fleece RAB shirt under my windbreaker and my sexy spandex tights. :) 

The route immediately started gently uphill, and it was less than 3 miles and the balaclava had to come off as it was way too hot. Not much further, the RAB shirt came off. Despite a long steady climb, I was going 19-20 miles per hour, and realized I must have a tail wind, which was proven once I stopped. (Boy, a tailwind sure makes you feel line a world beater, but a headwind makes you feel like a slug.) 

We had a lot of ups and downs, including one long, straight stretch down with very smooth new pavement when I was going 45 mph, the fastest downhill I ever had done. Other riders reported low 50’s, but I used my brakes a little, remembering my front wheel severely wobbling going 37 mph on some downhills in N. Kentucky in May, 2014 on the Horsey Hundred. That had been caused by “harmonic vibration” which I later learned could be stopped by clamping the top bar between your knees, but the terror memory lives on. We topped out about 1000 feet higher than where we started at the top of the Las Vegas Plateau.




I rode to mile 40, but along the way I came upon a sign that said, “curvy roads, next 3 miles” (or something to that defect) and then a sign picturing a truck going downhill and 9%. Hmm, steep, curvy road ahead. I eased my way down that stretch, reluctant to go over 20 mph when I could not see around the next corner and the pavement was not exceptionally smooth.


Looking down from near the top of the 9% downhill




Shortly after the descent, I saw Mike on the side of the road and decided it would be a good time to be bumped up to the SAG at mile 47.5. Here there was a poster that marked the completion of the first 1000 miles in 8.33 days of our 27 day adventure. Of course, as I have reported in these blogs, my total mileage was quite a bit less than 1000.

That last piece had been a pretty good stretch, but the next 19 miles we were treated with a headwind. The temperatures had dropped too, so the clothing layers went back on. I was aware that at mile 66.4 was the start of a steep climb for .7 miles and, not wanting to burn out my legs, had Mike bump me up again to the Lunch SAG at mile 75.9. From there I rode in to the finish at 108.2, having ridden a total of 91 miles. 

Beautiful red rock formations along the last 30 miles to Tucumcari

This last stretch was again a lot of up and down, basically neither losing or gaining elevation, but mostly easy grades, helped by now a helpful tailwind and temperatures warming into the mid 60’s. The clothing layers once again found their way into my string bag on my back. I arrived at the motel  before 3:00 where a nice fruit, vegetables and cookie reception was offered by the motel – a nice touch.

I was pleased with the day, as I had not felt as strong in the morning as I had the day before and we were still at higher elevations. Also, with the cool temperatures, I just did not drink as much as I should have either (the crew mentioned that afternoon that the entire team had not drunk enough).

The day had been almost entirely on one road, Rt. 104, so there were no route following challenges and I don’t know if the entire team had a single flat. With little traffic, it was a great route.

Tomorrow looks like a relatively easy day, again with a lot of small ups and downs, with the highest we will be within 500 feet of the lowest we will be. 

Day 11: Wednesday, April 27 - Tucumcari, NM to  Dalhart, TX 95 miles for the day, 800' of climbing.

Thanks for reading. Knowing my friends are watching is motivating. Frankly, I did not feel that motivated today, but still rode 91 miles. I was satisfied and having reached my goal of having fun for the day.

Next page

For our ride leader's (Mike Monk) version of today's ride, go here.

6 comments:

  1. You're killing it! It will take me weeks and weeks to ride as far as you have in eight days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing great! Thanks for sharing the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your doing awesome Sir, keep it up and I will keep reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun reading your posts Rick. My bedtime story every night! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun reading your posts Rick. My bedtime story every night! Ha!

    ReplyDelete