Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Day 3:Tuesday, April 19 - Blythe, CA to Wickenburg, AZ, 3689' up, 1908' down

 After a 5:20 breakfast, Brian and I got started earlier than the rest. After a short ride along a freeway frontage road we got on freeway Hwy, 10 and almost right away began climbing. Then we entered Arizona, one state down, several more to go.




Our first climb was to mile 16.5, then a small dip, then climb again to mile 34.5. When we got off Hwy. 10, we got on Hwy. 60, a two lane road that would take us all the way to our motel in Wickenburg.






But, before I forget, along Hwy, 10, I decided it was time for a nature call. I had just stepped over a bush and saw a big rattlesnake about 8 feet in front of me. It coiled and got ready to strike. I backed out of there quickly.

Rattlesnake, ready to strike
My roommate, Phil Anderson (also from Minnesota) came by to also see the rattlesnake.





On Highway 60, we followed the two lane road on a steady uphill climb, from about 1200 feet elevation to about 2625' It never got steep, but it was a steady climb. We passed through the booming metropolis of Brenda (or at least I was told we did, I may have blinked), then entered the equally large town of Hope. Below is a photo showing a sign that said (as we were leaving town) "Your Now Beyond Hope). (yes, including the wrong grammar). 
There is Hope in the future

Oops, looks like Hope is gone

We had our second SAG (support and gear) stop (actually lunch) in the town of Salome, complete with Laundermat (but another sign correctly said "laundromat" (apparently by the same sign maker, go figure).



We slogged away up the gentle slope, until about mile 104, then began a good 10 mile downhill into Wickenburg. I surely was looking forward to that downhill, but it was further away and shorter than hoped. Thank goodness the wind was coming from the 7:30 position, so we got a little help up the hill.



Nonetheless, I completed the 115 miles for the day, with 3,300' of climbing. I am a bit tired, and not sure I am up for tomorrow: Day 4: Wednesday, April 20 - Wickenburg, AZ to Cottonwood, AZ 103 miles for the day, 10,000' of climbing. But, I will do what I can, enjoy the ride, and continue to become a stronger rider. If I need to get "bumped up", so be it. 

Next page

For our ride leader's (Mike Monk) version of today's ride, go here.


3 comments: