Monday, April 18, 2016

Day 2: Monday, April 18 - Palm Springs, CA to Blythe, CA 134 miles for the day, 2473' up, 2647' down

We had breakfast at 5:30. and those who had gotten to the motel after 4:00 yesterday got started immediately after. The idea was to try to keep the faster and the slower riders closer together so it would be easier to support them, as keeping the riders with water would be critical with the heat.

I did not get started as soon as planned, as when I talked with Mike, our ride leader/mechanic, about a sticky pedal (I had a hard time getting my riding shoe loose a few times), he said he would just use some WD-40. However, upon looking at the bottom of my shoe, the entire cleat was gone. Weird, as it was clipped in when I last rode yesterday. Thank goodness the picky, extremely detailed pre-ride instructions told us to bring an extra set of cleats, so he installed one and I was on my way. (Another illustration of the attention to detail America By Bicycle exercises based on their years of experience leading these rides.)


I rode with Brian, a 30 year old from Boulder, CO who had flown in at midnight the night before and had a rough time yesterday. We had a great ride together, with the first 25 or so miles riding on urban roadways named after celebrities like Dina Shore, Bob Hope, and Gene Autry. Lots of palm trees and low traffic on bike lanes so nice riding in the cool morning. 




We reached the desert dotted with ranches and irrigated date farms We had our first SAG at 42 miles and so far it had been fantastic. 




From there, we left Mecca, a small migrant farm community on the edge of the desert and entered Box Canyon (beautiful  but desolate in in dryness), 20 or more miles up and up - none of it steep, but with the temperature rising, it became a grind. The heat really began to bother Brian again, but we persevered to the lunch stop at 67 miles at Chiriaco Summit on Highway 10. Mike kept track of us in the van to make sure we were alright and had water.











At the lunch stop, Brian decided to bag it for the day, Mike decided I needed to be bumped up ahead to close the gap between the fast riders and, well, me. With the route now being 60 miles along the freeway, we needed to be closer, as he and the other van were hustling to keep everyone supplied with water, as it was hot! On the freeway we needed to be close, as the exits were few and far between - NO SERVICES for 50 miles after our lunch stop. In any event, I was shuttled to the 3rd SAG stop at mile 116. I could have ridden more and would have liked to ride at least a century, but this is a team effort.


At the 3rd SAG stop, it REALLY was hot, and I decided to ride the rest of the route to Blythe. It was a fast 17 miles with a bit of a tail wind and mostly a gentle downward slope, 19-21 mph with little effort. So, I ended with 84 miles for the day, again, not what I had been anticipating, but am OK with it. It was a good ride, with a good riding partner most of the miles I rode, and I even got a chance to take a nap in the van as I was shuttled the 50 miles ahead.


I am looking forward to tomorrow's ride: Day 3:Tuesday, April 19 - Blythe, CA to Wickenburg, AZ 115 miles for the day, 3,300' of climbing. It will be hot again, so breakfast is at 5:00. Maybe I can actually ride the whole way this time.


Next page

For our ride leader's (Mike Monk) version of today's ride, go here.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like experienced support people. What a blessing. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your determination, Rick, you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete